To qualify for a banner, honorees must meet the following requirements:
• Active or honorably discharged military personnel of the United States Armed Forces OR Died in the line of duty as a member of the United States Armed Forces
• Current DeLand resident;
• An immediate family member of a DeLand resident. (Immediate family would include a wife or husband, son or daughter, grandson or granddaughter, son-in-law or daughter-in-law).
The following must be included with the application:
- Photograph - A 5x7 or larger color photograph must be provided. The photograph should be of the service person in uniform. If none is available, a high resolution photo will suffice. The photograph must be of good quality and will not be returned. Please do not send original photograph.
- Verification of military service (i.e. copy of military orders or military ID, DD214 form).
- Proof of DeLand residency for service person or immediate family member (i.e. copy of utility bill or driver’s license).
There is help available for veterans or families of veterans who are struggling to adapt to civilian life.
We have linked to a guide that provides comprehensive information on substance abuse statistics among veterans, governmental programs that offer treatment, and steps that veterans can take to get the help that they need. You can learn more here: