FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
November 27, 2018
Sports Turf Managers Association Announces 2018 ‘Field of the Year’ Winners
Turfgrass Leaders Earn Industry’s Highest Honor
(LAWRENCE, Kan.) – Sports Turf Managers Association (STMA) – the professional association for 2,700 men and women who manage sports fields worldwide who are critical to the safety of athletes and coaches – awards its 2018 “Field of the Year” winners.
Every year, STMA presents the industry’s highest honors to members who manage baseball, football, soccer, softball and other sporting playing surfaces at the professional, collegiate, schools (K-12), and parks and recreation levels. The 2018 winners are featured below:
- Baseball – CHS Field at St. Paul Saints (St. Paul, Minn.): Marcus Campbell, Sports Field Manager
- Soccer – Red Bull Arena at New York Red Bulls (Harrison, N.J.): Dan Shemesh, Director of Grounds
College and University
- Baseball – Melching Field at Conrad Park at City of Deland (Deland, Fla.): Brad Keith, Sports Field Manager
- Football – Kenan Stadium at University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill, N.C.): Casey Carrick, CSFM, Director of Athletic Grounds and Turf Management
- Soccer – Merlo Field at University of Portland (Portland, Ore.): Kevin White, Athletic Field Manager
- Softball – Captains Park at Christopher Newport University (Newport News, Va.): Chris Webb, Assistant Director of Grounds
- Sporting Grounds – 5/3 Bank Stadium at Kennesaw State University (Kennesaw, Ga.): Shane Hohlbein, CSFM, Sports Turf Manager
Schools and Parks
- Baseball – Norbrock Stadium at City of Kamloops (Kamloops, B.C.): Shawn Cook, Sports Field Manager
- Football – Donald Lambert Field at Brentsville District High School (Nokesville, Va.): Andrew Miller, Turfgrass Management Program Educator
- Soccer – Varsity Soccer Field at Avon High School (Avon, Ind.): Matt Dudley, Athletic Fields & Grounds Supervisor
- Softball – Blue Eagle Softball Complex at Clover School District (Clover, S.C.): Lee Clinton, CSFM, Sports Turf Supervisor
- Sporting Grounds – Pleasant View Championship Field at City of Boulder (Boulder, Colo.): Aaren LeMieux, Sports Field Manager
“Each year our awards committee selects the natural grass playing surface that exemplifies the STMA member’s hard work and dedication to sports turf management and their passion for field safety and playability,” says Kim Heck, CAE, CEO of STMA. “With each passing year, the bar is raised by each applicant helping to grow the sports turf industry.”
A panel of 13 judges independently scored entries based on playability, appearance of surfaces, utilization of innovative solutions, effective use of budget and implementation of a comprehensive agronomic program. Judges may not award a field in each category. Winners receive a plaque, recognition at the STMA annual Awards Banquet, and will be featured in a 2019 issue of SportsTurf Magazine, the official monthly publication of STMA.
Awards will be presented at the 30th annual STMA Conference & Exhibition in Phoenix, Arizona Jan. 22–25, 2019. More than 1,200 leaders in the sports turf industry will meet at the Phoenix Convention Center for four days of cutting-edge educational seminars, exhibitor demonstrations and networking opportunities.
STMA.org | Facebook | Instagram | LinkedIn | Twitter | YouTube
More information: 800.323.3875.
STMA is the non-profit, professional association for men and women who manage sports fields worldwide. Since 1981, it has provided education, information and practical knowledge in the art and science of sports field management. More than 2,700 members across 34 local chapters oversee facilities at schools, colleges and universities, parks and recreational facilities, and professional sports stadiums. Sports include football, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, softball, rugby and horse racing.