Leigh Matusick was elected to Seat 5 of the City Commission in November of 2005. She was elected as Vice Mayor in 2010.
Leigh Matusick was born in Baltimore, Maryland. She moved to DeLand in 1963 from Orlando, Florida.
Leigh Matusick is a mother and long time resident of DeLand and is passionate about her city. Through her travels around the country she has realized that DeLand is one of the best cities wherein anyone can reside. She hopes that the work she does for the City and the past work she has done with the Planning Board will continue to have a positive impact on the City and its residents. Through the many issues, challenges, and visions, Commissioner Matusick hopes to make DeLand a better place for all.
Leigh Matusick attended Dempsey Brewster, George Marks and DeLand Junior High School. She is a 1972 graduate of DeLand High School. She graduated from Seminole Community College in 1986 where she studied basic law enforcement.
- City Commissioner – November 2005 to present
- Mayor Pro Tem- 2010
- DeLand Representative to the Volusia County MPO
- DeLand Planning Board Member
- DeLand Citizens Advisory Task Force Committee
- Volusia County MPO Bicycle/Pedestrian Committee
- Retired from employment as Administrator of the Florida School Crossing Guard Program conducted through the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.
- Volusia County Sheriff’s Office – 26 years. (The School Crossing Guard Program was transferred from the Sheriff’s Office to the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.)
- Volusia County School Superintendent’s African American Advisory Committee
- DeLand Bicycle Advisory Committee
- Bike Florida, 12 years servicing as Secretary and Board Member
- West Volusia Community Traffic Safety Team
- Volusia County School Crossing Guard Evaluating Committee
- State of Florida Safety Management System Team
- Assistant Cheerleading Coach – DeLand High School for Freshman, Junior Varsity and Varsity Cheer Squads
- Secretary, DeLand High School Parent Booster, Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corp. (AFJROTC)
- DeLand High School Booster Club Member
- DeLand High School Band Parent’s Association Member
Previous neighborhood/community projects:
Mrs. Matusick has been involved in the organization and planting of a Water Wise Garden located at the Community Park, on S. Stone Street and Highlands. She has successfully advocated for new sidewalks on N. Hill Avenue for the walking students of DeLand High School and Blue Lake Elementary School. She has been involved in the implementation of a neighborhood watch program in her neighborhood.
Leigh Matusick has been married to Robert Matusick for 24 years. Robert was a Captain with the Volusia County Sheriff’s Office and now works for Stetson University in campus security. Leigh and Robert have two daughters and are proud grandparents of a beautiful grandson.