Where can I dispose of old gasoline, oil, and paint?

board / committee
No items found.


More Information

Household hazardous waste

Home  Departments and Divisions  Public Works  Solid Waste and Recycling  Household hazardous waste

Hazardous waste is defined as liquid, solid, contained gas, or sludge wastes that contain properties that are dangerous or potentially harmful to human health or the environment.

Learn how to properly manage and dispose of hazardous waste.

Motor oil

Containers of old hazardous liquid chemicals

Motor oil is banned from landfill disposal and cannot be placed with your garbage. Because motor oil can contaminate our water supply if disposed of improperly, all Volusia County residents should recycle used motor oil at the oil recycling "igloos" at most county fire stations and other facilities. For a list of igloo locations, see recycling drop-off sites.

Car battery with the words Recycle Me on the front

Lead acid batteries

Lead acid batteries, such as those used in automobiles, have been banned from landfill disposal. By law, retail outlets which supply batteries must accept your old one for recycling. You also may bring the battery to the household hazardous waste facility at the Tomoka Landfill and the West Volusia Transfer Station for recycling. Some recycling "buy back" centers accept batteries for recycling. Please see "Recycling" in your telephone book listings or contact the county's Solid Waste Division at 386-257-6021 in Daytona Beach, 386-943-7889 in West Volusia, 386-423-3862 in New Smyrna Beach, or 407-574-0598 in Osteen.

Gasoline, paints, thinners, solvents and pool chemicals

Old metal gas can

Gasoline, paints, thinners, solvents, pool chemicals and similar materials cannot be placed in your garbage because they are harmful to the environment. Volusia County residents may dispose of household hazardous waste at the Household Hazardous Waste Facilities at the Tomoka Landfill and West Volusia Transfer Station.

Paint exchange

Rusted can of old unusable paint

The Tomoka Landfill and the West Volusia Transfer Station provide noncommercial paint exchange facilities for residents of Volusia County, recycling about 300 gallons of paint each month. These facilities provide paint to noncommercial and nonprofit organizations as available. Please contact the Solid Waste and Recycling Division for more details at 386-943-7889.


Stay Connected

Click on the button below to contact our team. We are proud to provide top notch service to our citizens.

Subscribe Here