It is the mission of the City of DeLand Police Department to safeguard the lives and property of the people we serve, to reduce the incidence and fear of crime, and to enhance public safety. We will strive to develop positive relationships with our diverse communities and improve the quality of life for all community members. Our mandate is to do so by demonstrating our core values and conducting ourselves with the highest ethical standards to maintain the public’s confidence and trust.
City of DeLand Motto: Faith, Hope & Charity
- Duty: To serve, to place others needs above our own, to do our noble best while keeping our consciences clear.
- Honor: To demonstrate respect for others in word and deed, to deny self and promote the finest sense of justice possible for others.
- Courage: Overcoming fear; firmness of mind and willpower in the face of danger or extreme difficulty. When necessary to preserve life we will lay down our lives to protect the lives of others.
- Integrity: The firm adherence to a code of moral values, incorruptibility, and completeness. We will not sacrifice principles for expediency. We will keep our word; our actions will match our stated beliefs; we will be authentic and therefore trustworthy.
- Caring: To be sensitive to the needs of others and demonstrate compassion for all people. We are always ready to help community members retain or regain their dignity.
- Respect: We consider human beings worthy of high regard and are committed to equal treatment under the law for all people. We honor life and are committed to the preservation of life as we carry out our sworn duty under the law.
- Loyalty: Submission to legitimate authority; being accountable for our personal conduct, the conduct of our fellow officers and/or our subordinates conduct; proactively supporting the organization and its goals.
City of DeLand Police Officer Creed
I am a Police Officer and proud member of the DeLand Police Department.
I believe there is no higher calling than to Serve and Protect my fellow citizens.
I believe in the basic ideals of our Constitution. I am a Guardian of the rights that guarantee our freedoms and our American way of life.
I am always ready to help individuals retain or regain their dignity.I will assist my commanders and obey all lawful orders while maintaining law and order.
At the same time, I am humble because I know that I am a servant of my country and my fellow citizens.
To perform my duties properly, my honesty, integrity, and courage must be balanced by competence, alertness, and courtesy.
I know I am constantly in the public eye and my behavior sets the standard of excellence for my profession.
To my Police Department and my Commanders, I pledge sustained, just and honorable service.
To my Country, my State, and my fellow citizens, I pledge the skills of my training, my physical ability, my mental initiative, and my moral courage, for I am a Police Officer representing a time honored profession.
Updates on Accreditation Assessment
4/6/2020 Contact: Accreditation Manager Rachel Murphy
Immediate Release Administrative Number :386-626-7440
The Commission for Florida Law Enforcement Accreditation has provided the DeLand Police Department with a new set of dates. Dates are set for July 21st-23rd 2020.
3/18/2020 Contact: Accreditation Manager Rachel Murphy
Immediate Release Administrative Number :386-626-7440
As the news of COVID-19 continues to unfold,the Commission for Florida Law Enforcement Accreditation has determined at this time it is not in their best interest to conduct our assessment in April.Therefore, our assessment will be rescheduled for July/August time frame. A update will be release will be published upon receipt of new dates
Notice of Accreditation Assessment
Accreditation team invites public comments about the DeLand Police Department
Contact: Accreditation Manager Rachel Murphy
For Immediate Release
Administrative Number :386-626-7440
(City of DeLand) - A team of assessors from the Commission for Florida Law Enforcement Accreditation (CFA) will arrive April 28-30, 2020 to examine all aspects of the DeLand Police Department’s policies and procedures,management, operations, and support services. The DeLand Police Department has to comply with approximately 239 standards in order to maintain accredited status. Many of the standards are critical to life,health and safety issues.
As part of the on-site assessment, agency members and the general public are invited to offer comments to the assessment team. A copy of the standards manual is available through DeLand Police Department’s Accreditation Manager at email@example.com. The Accreditation Program Manager for the DeLand Police Department’s is Rachel Murphy.
For more information regarding CFA or for persons wishing to offer written comments about the DeLand Police Department’s ability to meet the standards of accreditation, please write: CFA, P.O. Box 1489,Tallahassee, Florida 32302, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The assessment team is composed of law enforcement practitioners from other Florida police agencies. The assessors will review written materials;interview individuals; and visit offices and other places where compliance can be witnessed.
Once the Commission’s assessors complete their review of the agency, they report back to the full Commission, which will then decide if the agency is to maintain accredited status. DeLand Police Department’s accreditation is valid for 3 years and the department first received its initial accredited status on June 23,2004. Verification by the team that DeLand Police Department meets the Commission’s standards is part of a voluntary process to gain or maintain accreditation--a highly prized recognition of law enforcement professional excellence.