The City Manager serves as the Chief Administrative Officer and is responsible to the Mayor and City Commission for
the administration of the day to day operations of city government. Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Execute the laws and administer the government of the city.
- Appoint and may remove all department heads and employees of the city or may authorize the head of a department to appoint subordinates in such department.
- Prepare the budget annually and submit it to the City Commission, and be responsible for its administration after adoption.
- Attend all meetings of the City Commission and of its committees, with the right to take part in the discussion of matters affecting the city, but without having a vote.
- Recommend to the City Commission for adoption such measures as he may deem necessary or expedient in the interest of the city.
About Michael Pleus
Michael Pleus is a native Floridian, born in Windermere, Florida. He received his BA from Stetson in Political Science in 1994 and MBA from Stetson in 1999. He earned his designation as a Credentialed Manager by the International City/County Management Association in 2008. His career in Public Administration began in 1994 as an Intern in the County Manager’s Office. He was promoted to Special Projects Coordinator and later an Assistant to the County Manager before leaving in early 2000. Michael was hired as Administrative Services Director for the DeLand in March of 2000. He was promoted to Assistant City Manager in 2001 and City Manager in July 2008. As City Manager, Michael is responsible for the day-to-day operations of City government.
Michael is a Past-President of the Florida City and County Management Association. He is a member of the DeLand Breakfast Rotary and Past President of the Kiwanis Club of DeLand. He currently serves on the Board of Directors for the Volusia/Flagler Commission on Homelessness and Catholic Charities of Central Florida. Additionally, he is active in Boy Scouts having served as Cubmaster and currently as Troop Committee Treasurer and Unit Commissioner.
Over the years Michael has earned numerous service awards to include the Golden Eagle Award from Boy Scouts of America – Timuqua District, Spring Hill Community Neighborhood Association’s Exceptional Community Partner Award, Chamber of Commerce President’s Award, the League of Cities Employee of the Year Award and City Manager of the Year Award, NAACP Difference Maker of the Year, Volusia Business Report Young Business Leader Award, Stetson University Civic Responsibility Award, and the Salvation Army Community Service Award.