The City Manager serves as the Chief Administrative Officer and is responsible to the Mayor and City Commission for the administration of the day to day operations of city government. Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Execute the laws and administer the government of the city.
- Appoint and may remove all department heads and employees of the city or may authorize the head of a department to appoint subordinates in such department.
- Prepare the budget annually and submit it to the City Commission, and be responsible for its administration after adoption.
- Attend all meetings of the City Commission and of its committees, with the right to take part in the discussion of matters affecting the city, but without having a vote.
- Recommend to the City Commission for adoption such measures as he may deem necessary or expedient in the interest of the city.
About Michael Pleus
Michael Pleus is a native Floridian, born in Windermere, Florida. He received his BA from Stetson in Political Science in 1994 and MBA from Stetson in 1999. He earned his designation as a Credentialed Manager by the International City/County Management Association in 2008. He is also a graduate of Leadership DeLand – 2001.
His career in Public Administration began in 1994 as an Intern in the County Manager’s Office. He was promoted to Special Projects Coordinator and later an Assistant to the County Manager before leaving in early 2000. Michael was hired as Administrative Services Director for the DeLand in March of 2000. He was promoted to Assistant City Manager in 2001 and City Manager in July 2008. As City Manager, Michael is responsible for the day to day operations of City government.
Michael is a Past President of the Florida City/County Management Association, and Executive Board Director for Team Volusia Economic Development Corporation. He also served as a Board Director for the Florida League of Cities. He is a Past President of the Kiwanis Club of DeLand. He is also a Rotarian and in the Knights of Columbus.
Michael has received many recognitions including: City Manager of the Year by the Volusia League of Cities, Difference Maker of the Year by the West Volusia NAACP, Outstanding Volunteer of the Year Nominee by the United Way of Volusia and Flagler Counties, Young Business Leader by Volusia Business Report, Employee of the Year by the Volusia League of Cities, Recognized for Civic Responsibility by Stetson University, President’s Award by the DeLand Area Chamber of Commerce, Exceptional Community Partner Award by the Spring Hill Neighborhood Association, and Community Service Award by the Salvation Army.