City Commission Members
DeLand will remain a city whose diverse citizens demonstrate a strong sense of community. The City will remain dedicated to preserving and enhancing those assets which make DeLand distinctive. We, as citizens of DeLand, will continue to strive to maintain DeLand’s heritage as the “Athens of Florida.”
Description of Responsibilities
The government as set forth in the City Charter is a “commission-manager” government. The City Commission is comprised of five Commissioners, one of who is elected as the Mayor-Commissioner, all are elected from the City at large.
- The Mayor-Commissioner presides over meetings of the Commission and serves as the ceremonial head of the government.
- The City Commission determines policy in the areas of economic development, planning, traffic, law and order, fire prevention and suppression, public works, parts, recreation, finance, utilities, and airport operations.
- The City Commission appoints and removes the City Manager, City Attorney and City Clerk.
- The City Commission adopts a budget, levies taxes, collects revenues and makes appropriations and authorizes the issuance of bonds.
- The City Commission determines policy by adopting ordinances and resolutions, appropriating moneys, and exercising other essential legislative duties.
City Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Monday of the month at 7 pm in the Commission Chambers. Live Streaming is available only during the meetings. Agendas are available for viewing the Friday before the meeting.
Robert F. Apgar
Robert F. “Bob” Apgar has been a resident of DeLand since 1959. He has served his community as an elected official for over 29 years. He is a shining example of leadership, citizen involvement, community spirit, and civic responsibility.
Bob Apgar’s service as a City Commissioner began in May of 1983 when he served two 4-year terms. He was elected again as City Commissioner in October of 1996 and served until June of 2001 when he resigned his position to run for Mayor. He was elected as Mayor in October of 2001 and then reelected in 2005 and 2010 without opposition. In 2014, he was reelected to his fourth term as Mayor.
During Bob Apgar’s tenure as Mayor, the City of DeLand has endured the most difficult issues a growing city can face, including numerous complex land development issues, a changing workforce, changes in the makeup of the community, and balancing a city budget with diminishing revenue while trying to limit any loss of city services. Those who have worked with the Mayor in dealing with these difficult issues would describe him as a man of integrity, as his actions are always honest and straightforward. He adheres to the highest ethical standards. For these reasons, he has strong creditability with citizens and other elected officials in Volusia County and the state. In August of 2009, the Florida League of Cities awarded him its highest award, the E. Harris Drew Lifetime Achievement Award.
Bob Apgar is a 1965 graduate of DeLand High School. He earned a Bachelor of Arts in psychology from Davidson College, Davidson, North Carolina in 1969. He earned his law degree at the University Of Florida College Of Law in 1971.
- City Commissioner – 13 years as a City Commission and 16 years as Mayor
- Chairman Volusia County Leadership Roundtable
- Volusia County cities’ representative to Regional Leadership Congress
- Past Chairman, Past Vice Chair and Secretary – Volusia Council of Governments (VCOG)
- Past Chairman, Vice Chairman and Secretary – Volusia League of Cities
- Past Chairman – Volusia Tax Reform Committee for VCOG
- VCOG Smart Growth Committee Member
- Past Chairman and Vice Chairman – Water Authority of Volusia (WAV)
- Florida League of Cities Board Member
- Florida League of Mayors Board Member
- Chairman – Spring Hill Community CRA Board
- Chairman – Downtown CRA Board
- Past Chairman – Volusia County MPO
Military Service and Employment
- U.S. Army JAG Corps – 1972-1976
- Apgar & Gillen, P.A. Attorneys – 1976-1989
- Brandywine Enterprises Inc. – Vice President – 1989-1990
- Consolidated- Tomoka Land Co. – Sr. Vice President/Gen Counsel – Dec. 1990 to Dec. 2009
- Council on Aging – Development Director – Nov 2010 - 2015
Past and Present Community Involvement
- DeLand Breakfast Rotary
- DeLand Area Chamber of Commerce
- First Presbyterian Church
- Stetson University Hatter Boosters
- College Arms Towers Board
- Good Samaritan Retirement Center Advisory Board
- Emergency Medical Foundation, Inc. (EVAC) Board
- DeLand Sports Redevelopment Association
- United Way of Volusia County
- Volunteer Baseball Coach
- DeLand High School Football Chain Gang
- Bulldog Boosters
- Boys & Girls Club of Volusia Flagler
- 2017 – Elected Official of the Year – Volusia League of Cities
- 2013 – Inductee, High Schools of DeLand Hall of Fame
- 2012 & 2017– Home Rule Hero – Florida League of Cities
- 2011 – Blaine O’Neal Award of Excellence – Volusia League of Cities
- 2009 – E. Harris Drew Lifetime Achievement Award – Florida League of Cities
- 2007 – Elected Official of the Year – Volusia League of Cities
- 2003 – West Volusia Sportsperson of the Year
- 2002 – Golden Eagle Honoree (Boy Scouts)
- 2001 – West Volusia Citizen of the Year
- 1983 – DeLand Jaycees Outstanding Young Man
Bob Apgar has been a resident of DeLand for over 50 years. He is married to Teresa Apgar and they have three children and seven grandchildren. In his spare time he enjoys reading, traveling, watching sports and just being a grandparent.
Under Mayor Apgar’s leadership, the City has gained a reputation throughout the state as a quality City that strives to be innovative and successful. He has helped to ensure DeLand maintains its small town charm while achieving Henry DeLand’s vision for DeLand as the “Athens of Florida.”
Leigh Matusick was elected to Seat 5 of the City Commission in November of 2005. She was elected as Vice Mayor in 2010.
Leigh Matusick was born in Baltimore, Maryland. She moved to DeLand in 1963 from Orlando, Florida.
Leigh Matusick is a mother and long time resident of DeLand and is passionate about her city. Through her travels around the country she has realized that DeLand is one of the best cities wherein anyone can reside. She hopes that the work she does for the City and the past work she has done with the Planning Board will continue to have a positive impact on the City and its residents. Through the many issues, challenges, and visions, Commissioner Matusick hopes to make DeLand a better place for all.
Leigh Matusick attended Dempsey Brewster, George Marks and DeLand Junior High School. She is a 1972 graduate of DeLand High School. She graduated from Seminole Community College in 1986 where she studied basic law enforcement.
- City Commissioner – November 2005 to present
- Mayor Pro Tem- 2010
- DeLand Representative to the Volusia County MPO
- DeLand Planning Board Member
- DeLand Citizens Advisory Task Force Committee
- Volusia County MPO Bicycle/Pedestrian Committee
- Retired from employment as Administrator of the Florida School Crossing Guard Program conducted through the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.
- Volusia County Sheriff’s Office – 26 years. (The School Crossing Guard Program was transferred from the Sheriff’s Office to the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.)
- Volusia County School Superintendent’s African American Advisory Committee
- DeLand Bicycle Advisory Committee
- Bike Florida, 12 years servicing as Secretary and Board Member
- West Volusia Community Traffic Safety Team
- Volusia County School Crossing Guard Evaluating Committee
- State of Florida Safety Management System Team
- Assistant Cheerleading Coach – DeLand High School for Freshman, Junior Varsity and Varsity Cheer Squads
- Secretary, DeLand High School Parent Booster, Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corp. (AFJROTC)
- DeLand High School Booster Club Member
- DeLand High School Band Parent’s Association Member
Previous neighborhood/community projects:
Mrs. Matusick has been involved in the organization and planting of a Water Wise Garden located at the Community Park, on S. Stone Street and Highlands. She has successfully advocated for new sidewalks on N. Hill Avenue for the walking students of DeLand High School and Blue Lake Elementary School. She has been involved in the implementation of a neighborhood watch program in her neighborhood.
Leigh Matusick has been married to Robert Matusick for 24 years. Robert was a Captain with the Volusia County Sheriff’s Office and now works for Stetson University in campus security. Leigh and Robert have two daughters and are proud grandparents of a beautiful grandson.
Chris Cloudman was appointed to Seat 4 of the City Commission in September of 2014.
Chris was born in Boyton Beach, Florida and grew up in Port Orange. He moved to DeLand in 2008 from Oracle (Tucson), Arizona.
- Stetson University, Master of Business Administration
- University of Florida, Bachelor of Science in Recreation
- Daytona Beach Community College, Associate of Arts
- Spruce Creek High School
- City Commissioner – September 2014 to present
- Florida League of Cities – Utilities, Natural Resources and Public Works Legislative Policy Committee
- River of Lakes Heritage Corridor Management Entity
- River to Sea Transportation Planning Organization
- Charter Review Committee, City of DeLand
- Planning Board, City of DeLand
- Joint City-County Coordinating Committee of DeLand
- Rotary Club of Downtown DeLand (President Elect - Elect)
- Take Stock in Children Mentor & Advisory Committee
- YMCA Camp Winona Advisory Board
- George Marks Elementary School Advisory Committee Volunteer
- Millennium Musicians Volunteer
- Freedom Playground Next Generation
- Leadership West Volusia Advisory Committee
- Graduate of Leadership DeLand
- Citizen Police Academy, DeLand Police Department
- Accreditation Standards Visitor, American Camp Association
- Cenergistic, Energy Specialist (Current)
- Stetson University, Associate Director of Continuing Education
- YMCA of Tucson, Director of Camping Services
- Greater Daytona Beach Area YMCA, Program Director
- Florida Sheriff’s Youth Ranches, Program Leader
Chris Cloudman is married to Megan Cloudman and they have two daughters, Emily and Isobel. He enjoys attending community events with his family, exploring our city roadways and trails on bicycle and volunteering at local charity / fundraising events.
Jessica Davis was elected to Seat 3 on the DeLand City Commission on August 26, 2014, making her the first African American female to be elected to The DeLand City Commission.
Jessica Davis understands the sense of urgency needed in serving the citizens of DeLand and has a vested interest in the community. Understanding how economic development is directly related to communities and schools is vital to short and long-term success. Jessica understands such interrelationships and will ensure to the best of her ability that the citizens of DeLand can be provided the best quality of life for themselves and their family.
Jessica is a graduate of Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University where she earned her bachelor of science degree in broadcast journalism and minor in education.
Jessica is a High School Teacher for Volusia County Schools where she teaches a career preparation and learning strategies elective course for freshmen students.
- DeLand City Commissioner
- Florida League of Cities member
- Volusia League of Cities member
- Florida Black Caucus of Local Elected Officials member
- Minority Elected Officials of Volusia County, Charter Member
- Young Elected Officials Network Member
- Spring Hill Community CRA Board member
- Downtown CRA Board member
- Member of The DeLand Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc.
- Member of Greater Union First Baptist Church
- Member of the Women of Faith Ministry, a youth mentoring and community service ministry
- Organized the Community Financial Empowerment Workshop at The Chisholm Community Center
- Participant in the Chisholm Community Center garden planting
- Organized a community feeding event in the aftermath of Hurricane Irma
- Organized a Say to No Gun Violence concert after a rash of shootings in the Spring Hill community
- Participated in organized walks in the Candlelight Oaks community after a double homicide shooting at a block party
Jessica Davis is from the neighboring city of Daytona Beach. She married her best friend Mario Davis who is a DeLand native and they have a daughter named Marissa. Jessica enjoys spending quality time with her family, mentoring youth, participating in community engagement events, traveling, word search puzzles and reading.
Latest City Government Notices
Latest City Government Notices
DeLand Strategic Plan
View the Strategic Plan
DeLand Strategic Plan
View the Strategic Plan