Pay Grade: 6
Dept: City Wide
Reports to: Supervisor
Hours: 40 per week
Date: November 2006
SUMMARY: This position performs a variety of receptionist, clerical and typing tasks. This position also does related duties as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Operates a central switchboard transferring calls as required.
- Takes messages for various departments when necessary.
- Greets members of the public, answers inquires and makes referrals.
- Greets job applicants and hands out applications and/or job-interest cards.
- Answers routine questions regarding employment.
- Assists job applicants with completeness of applications.
- Obtains incoming mail, sorts and distributes mail.
- Prepares out-going mail by affixing postage.
- Takes mail to post office.
- Picks up postage due mail, obtaining funds from Finance Department.
- Screens daily newspapers and cuts out articles for files.
- Types and performs clerical work.
- Accesses, inputs and retrieves information from a computer.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and /or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: High school diploma or general education degree (GED) is required. Some experience in office clerical work is required, including typing. Any equivalent combination of training and experience may be used as a substitute for minimum requirements.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: The applicant must have the ability to read and interpret documents such as legal documents, personnel forms, and data sheets, financial reports, letters and memos. The applicant must also be able to communicate effectively with job applicants, current employees and the general public.
REASONING ABILITLY: The applicant must have the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral forms. The applicant must have the ability to work with a minimum amount of supervision and to think and act independently under general supervision. Initiative, tack, efficiency, and good judgment are required.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of office terminology, procedures and equipment.
- Ability to understand and follow simple oral and written directions.
- Good oral English in person and on the telephone.
- Ability to write legibly.
- Ability to get along well with others.
- Possesses tact and courtesy.
- Knowledge of telephone usage and courtesy.
- Some knowledge of personal computer operations.
- Ability to operate a computer.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/ADA: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for long of periods of time performing repetitive functions. Some of these functions include filing, and ordering files, typing the prescribed words per minute accurately and viewing a display screen for an extended period of time.
Lifting: 15 Pounds or less
Environment: Office/Sedentary Work
Vision: 20/20 or Corrected to 20/100
Hearing: Normal Noise Levels for Office Environment
*Class Descriptions are not intended to be restrictive. The use of (or absence of) a particular illustration of duties shall not be held to exclude or limit the authority of a Department Head to assign other duties which are similar and related to work.