Pay Grade: 22 Dept: Parks & Recreation
Exempt: Yes Reports to: Director
Hours: 40 per week Date: January 2010
SUMMARY: this position directs the work of subordinate personnel in the maintenance and construction of the parks. This position involves the responsibility for supervising the activities of park maintenance personnel. The work is performed in accordance with general instructions received from the Parks and Recreation Director.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Directs and supervises the work of park maintenance personnel and assigns and reviews specific duties.
- Reviews requisitions for equipment and supplies.
- Ability to purchase and apply pesticides and fertilizers at proper rates.
- Trains new personnel in using departmental equipment.
- Reviews personnel and equipment records.
- Supervises the construction and maintenance of athletic fields and playgrounds.
- Inspects park and park facilities to ensure proper care and maintenance.
- Plans, installs and maintains grass, shrubs, trees and flowers for athletic fields, parks and campus.
- Coordinates maintenance of motorized equipment including vans and buses.
- Assists in the preparation of the Parks departmental budget.
Performs related duties as required.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and /or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must successful obtain a Best Management Practices Fertilizers and Pesticides license/certificate within six months of employment.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: High school diploma or general education degree (GED) is required. Considerable experience in park maintenance and construction activities is required. Graduation from college with a major in horticulture or a related field is required or any equivalent combination of education, experience and training may be used as a substitute for minimum requirements.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: The applicant must have the ability to read and interpret documents such as legal documents, personnel forms, and data sheets. The applicant must also be able to communicate effectively with job applicants, current employees and the general public.
REASONING ABILITLY: The applicant must have the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram forms. The applicant must also be able to deal with problems involving several variables in standardized situations when immediate guidance from the supervisor may not be available.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of the methods and equipment used in landscaping and park maintenance.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of plant, shrubbery and tree care.
- Ability to operate a variety of power tools and related equipment. Ability to supervise the work of others.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/ADA: This job requires walking, standing, bending, stooping, and driving. Employee may work in an office environment or outside in various weather conditions. Working in or with moving vehicles and/or equipment may be required as well as working from heights, with radiant energy, with hands, and may handle various chemicals.
Lifting: 15-45 Pounds
Environment: Office/Outside in various weather conditions
Vision: 20/20 or Corrected to 20/100
Hearing: Normal Noise Levels
*Class Descriptions are not intended to be restrictive. The use of (or absence of) a particular illustration of duties shall not be held to exclude or limit the authority of a Department Head to assign other duties which are similar and related to work.