Pay Grade: 12
Reports to: UB Cust Accts Supervisor
Hours: 40 per week
Date: June 2010
SUMMARY: This position performs responsible clerical-accounting tasks involving customer utility accounts. Duties involved in this classification are above entry level. The work of this class involves performance of account-keeping or related tasks within defined limits. Similar problems are constantly recurring and their solution is either routine, has been previously determined, or in unusual cases is checked by supervisors. Supervisors are available for consultation on problems and to give detailed instructions on all new assignments.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Computes interest, taxes or balances due for billing or recording purposes.
- Maintains complete files on regular accounts and correspondence.
- Furnishes information to the public on a variety of matters.
- Answers correspondence and telephone inquiries.
- Operates computer input devices.
- Performs a wide variety of clerical account keeping and related tasks.
- Prepares water services orders for turn-on, turn-off and meter changes.
- Develops payment plans for consumers.
- Prepares lien reports, and maintains delinquent list and calculates charges.
- Inputs meter readings.
- Prepares billing registers, deposits, refunds, credits, and non-payment notices.
- Sends out invoices.
- Receives revenues which necessitate the use of cash register
- Issues receipts, inputs payments, totals cash register transactions and verifies amounts with receipts.
- Responsible for the security of cash
- Collects and receipts funds collected by other City departments.
- Maintains a “turn-on” list for customers who have utilities turned off.
- Monitors office supplies to assure adequate amounts.
- Follows up on returned checks received by the City.
- Operates computers
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and /or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: A high school degree or GED is require along with some clerical-accounting, cashiering, billing, or fee collecting experience, and completion of accounting courses at a recognized college or university. Any combination of education, experience and training may be substituted for some requirements.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: The applicant must have the ability to understand and follow oral and written directions, and ability to write legibly.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Some knowledge of modern accounting practices.
- Some knowledge of office terminology, procedures, and equipment, and of business arithmetic and English.
- Knowledgeable of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to type from a clear copy or rough draft at a reasonable speed.
- Ability to get along well with others.
- Possess excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to write legibly.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Possess clerical aptitude, mental alertness, tact, and courtesy.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/ADA: The employee will work in an office environment, and may sit for extended periods of time. The employee must be able to access file cabinets for filing and retrieval of data.
Lifting: 15-45 Pounds
Vision: 20/20 or Corrected to 20/100
Hearing: Normal Noise Levels for Office Environment
*Class Descriptions are not intended to be restrictive. The use of (or absence of) a particular illustration of duties shall not be held to exclude or limit the authority of a Department Head to assign other duties which are similar and related to work.
|To Fill Out Application and Submit Electronically Click Here.