Pay Grade: 21
Reports to: Environmental Compliance Mgr.
Hours: 40 per week
Date: October 2011
SUMMARY: Responsible for the overall supervision of daily laboratory operations. Also responsible for lead and technical work involving the operation and maintenance of a NELAC Certified Laboratory for water, wastewater, reclaimed, industrial pretreatment sampling, testing and the quality control/ assurance thereof. The Assistant Chemist reports to the Environmental Compliance Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works independently, with a minimum of supervision and may supervise technical support personnel.
- Assigns work, provides training, approves leave and conducts performance evaluations.
- Schedules sampling and analyses under the general direction of the Environmental Compliance Manager and sets up/ adjusts laboratory apparatus.
- Maintains quality assurance and quality control requirements/ documentation to insure NELAC certification.
- Calibrates, modifies and makes minor repairs to instrumentation used for laboratory analyses and monitoring.
- Determines how existing methods, procedures and equipment should be modified to meet testing requirements and NELAC certification criteria.
- Maintains laboratory functions and quality assurance tasks on media, equipment, and supplies in accordance with NELAC certification requirements.
- Maintains laboratory inventory of chemicals, reagents, and glassware.
- Assists in the preparation of reports and performs miscellaneous clerical functions.
- Modifies existing test procedures to meet needs of the monitoring program.
- Ability to learn and train others in related computer skills to perform analysis and record data for regulatory reports.
- Lengthened work days, greater than the salaried eight hours per day, may be required at times.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Applicant must possess of a B.S. Degree in Chemistry, Biology, Microbiology or related field and at least five years of experience in a NELAC Certified Laboratory with proficiency in quality control/ assurance protocol. A comparable amount of education, training, or experience may be substituted for minimum requirements.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of laboratory practices concerning mixing of chemicals and reagents, preparation of stock solutions, and cleaning of glassware and equipment.
- Skilled in the use of laboratory equipment to include analytical balances, microscopes, field instrumentation, autoclaves, Lachat FIA 8000 auto-analyzer, etc.
- Knowledge and ability to perform non-potable, drinking and solid material standard operating procedures for methods such as CBOD (SM5210B), Fluoride (SM4500F-C), TKN (EPA351.2), TP (EPA365.4), Total and Fecal Coliform, etc.
- Ability to read safety manuals, operation guides, instructions, letters, memos, maps, work order, blueprints, and professional journals.
- Ability to perform basic and advanced mathematical calculations and shop math (addition, subtraction, division, multiplication, fractions, algebra, calculus, statistics).
- Proficient in computer skills to include Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, etc.
- Possess a valid Florida driver’s license.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/ADA: This job requires walking, standing, bending, stooping, and driving. Employee may work in an office environment or outside in various weather conditions. Working in or with moving vehicles and/or equipment may be required as well as working from heights, with radiant energy, with hands, feet and/or legs in water and may handle various solvents and chemicals.
Lifting: 50 pounds or more
Environment: Laboratory Work
Vision: 20/20 or Corrected to 20/100
Hearing: Normal Noise Levels for Office Environment
*Class Descriptions are not intended to be restrictive. The use of (or absence of) a particular illustration of duties shall not be held to exclude or limit the authority of a Department Head to assign other duties which are similar and related to work.
|To Complete and Submit Application Electronically Click Here. |