142 North Adelle Avenue
This one-story Frame Vernacular residential building is located on the corner of Rich and Adelle. Built in 1905, notable architectural features include a hip roof, a symmetrical façade and an end porch which is integrated under the main roof supported by square posts. With few alterations this building has retained most of its architectural integrity.
One of its first owners was Silias Billings Wright and his wife Annie Bennett Wright. The Wrights settled in the DeLand area, in 1882 shortly after the citizens voted to incorporate their little township. Their son Silas Bennett Wright was born a year later in 1883 at the John Rich cabin. (John and Clara Rich were one of DeLand’s first settlers.)
Many years later Silas and Annie Wright moved to the house on Adelle, where their grandson Silias Bennett Wright, Jr. was born in 1907.
Throughout the years, the house on Adelle has changed hands several times. The property appraiser’s records only go back to 1975, but since 1975 the house has changed hands four times. In recent years the house has been unlived in and mostly abandoned. In 2007-2008 the house was in violation of city ordinances- Building in disrepair, tree debris, boarded structure. Neighbors to the property stated the porch became a hangout for skate boarders and the inside was attracting squatters.
November 2010 the Adelle house went up for public auction and was purchased by the Diocese of Orlando, St. Peters Catholic Church. Their plan was to eventually provide housing for a priest.
Mark Keane a member of the City of DeLand Historic Preservation Board, was one of the individuals interested in saving the Adelle House. He attempted to purchase the house at auction, but was unsuccessful. After the auction, Mark Keane approached the church. Rather than the church pay to have the building demolished, the church is allowing Mark Keane and his family to dismantle it for free and keep all the materials.
Piece by piece the house will be dismantled and rebuilt a couple lots over on Rich Avenue.
May 5, 2011
The Adelle House has been completely taken apart, each piece is marked and stored in a storage unit on the property.