PUBLIC FIRE/LIFE SAFETY
Goal 1 – Re-enforce a proactive business inspection program to enhance public safety and reduce fire loss in DeLand.
- Inspect 66% of the businesses within a 12 month period with the goal of completing 100% in the future
Goal 2 – Provide a Fire Safety Literature and Smoke Detector distribution program at community events and through the schools
- Continue an aggressive program to equip residents with working smoke detectors
- Increase the number of interactions with the public to provide life safety literature, materials and programs
Goal 3 - Reinforce the existing CERT programs in the City to assist during major disasters/emergencies
- Work with new interested groups to develop new teams throughout the city with the goal of adding 1 new team
Goal 4 – Provide EMS well-being checks and an EMS Bike Team
- Be proactive in providing EMS response to special events and health checks to DeLand citizens as requested
EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS & RESPONSE
Goal 1- Provide for safety and welfare of the public by responding to all Fire and EMS calls within departmental standards.
- Responding to all emergency calls for service within the DeLand response district within 6 minutes 90% of the time
Goal 2 – Provide response staffing to meet minimum standards set forth by NFPA 1710
- Maintain staffing levels of 14 qualified members per shift maximum and 12 minimum
Goal 3 – Provide current training for personnel to meet growing demands of the City and Fire Department.
- Ensure officers obtain necessary professional qualifications through the National Fire Academy and state professional qualifications training programs as Fire Officer I (minimum)
- Ensure all firefighters are Florida State Certified Firefighters II and currently certified as EMT’s in the State of Florida
Goal 4 - Improve the ISO rating from 5 to 4 for the City.
- Request ISO to re-evaluate the City’s fire protection/response capabilities once Station 83 is opened
- Work with Water Department to ensure hydrant maintenance is ongoing and up-to-date
- Continue to be an active participant in the Communications user group for our dispatch center
FACILITIES & EQUIPMENT MANAGEMENT
Goal 1 - Ensure that all departmental apparatus and facilities are in a safe and proper working order and equipped to meet ISO Standards.
- Develop and maintain our Capital Improvement Program (CIP) aimed at correcting facility and equipment concerns
- Conduct fire pump testing in December and fire hose testing in March-April, as prescribed by standards issued by the NFPA and required under ISO guidelines
Goal 2 – Provide the appropriate apparatus’ and equipment needed to meet the increasing demands on the Department and that meet ISO standards.
- Evaluate all apparatus and vehicles and update CIP to reflect overall department as well as ISO requirements
- Work with grants coordinator to identify needs and request grants to fund these needs
- Upgrade our SCBA re-filling capabilities (Continue from last year in grant process).
- Maintain a 4-year replacement cycle for all structural firefighting protective gear
Goal 1 – Ensure all City employees are trained to the proper level in accordance with our CEMP and NIMS.
- Provide and track basic and advanced NIMS mandated training to all City employees that are involved in any type of emergency response to emergencies in the City
Goal 2 – Provide training to all members of the EOC management team.
- Work to educate all members of each ESF in their duties and responsibilities as outlined in the CEMP
Goal 3 – Provide hands on training through drills, tabletop exercises and scenario based exercises in-house and in conjunction with all Volusia Countywide events.
- Exercise each ESF function in our CEMP
- Participate in the annual Volusia County disaster exercise