Recently recognized by the Florida League of Women Voters as The Future of Florida: A Young Elected Official to Watch, and the Volusia/Flagler Business Report’s Young Business Leader of the Year, Commissioner Vonzelle Johnson serves as a DeLand City Commissioner and Chair of the Volusia County Democratic Executive Committee.
Commissioner Johnson earned his B.A. in Sociology from Colgate University and his MSW from Valdosta State University. He is currently working on his educational doctorate with a double concentration in organization leadership and human resource development.
Vonzelle has served as a social worker adjunct professor at Bethune-Cookman University and the University of New England. In 2009, Vonzelle founded
Brothers Advocating Service and Inspiration in the Community, Inc., a non-profit mentoring organization that provides guidance and positive role modeling to adolescent males in the DeLand community.
Vonzelle formerly worked under President Wendy Libby of Stetson University, serving as her corporate fundraiser. Within his role, Vonzelle cultivated relationships with corporate donors, championed fundraising efforts for financially disadvantaged students, recruited prospective Board of Trustee members, provided support to the School of Business Administration's Board of Advisors, and lobbied to local, state, national, and international officials to advance the institution.
Vonzelle's interdisciplinary background, consisting of public policy, counseling, success coaching, fundraising, and non-profit development primed him to serve within his current professional role as a managing partner at Strategic Philanthropic Solutions, LLC., a multifaceted public relations firm. The firm provides a wide range of services to small businesses, non-profit organizations, and individuals.
Vonzelle has provided service to the Board of Directors for The World Conference of Mayors, The Athens Theatre, The Spring Hill Community Redevelopment Agency, The Boys and Girls Club of Central Florida, The Florida League of Cities, The National League of Cities, The Young Elected Officials Network, The ALANA Faculty Council of Stetson University, and the United Way's Campaign for Working Families Steering Committee.
Recently, Vonzelle served as an At-Large Delegate to the 2012 Democratic National Convention, he received an appointment as a 2012 Florida Democratic Presidential Elector, and was unanimously elected by the DeLand city Commission to serve as Legislative Liaison to the Florida State Legislator.
- 2012 Democratic National Convention State of Florida At-Large Delegate
- 2012 State of Florida Presidential Elector
- Florida League of Cities
- Democratic Precinct Committeeman (Precinct 217)
- National League of Cities
- The World Conference of Mayors
- Tiger Bay Club of Volusia County
- Volusia County Association for Responsible Development
- Volusia Council of Governments
- Volusia County Democratic Party
- Young Elected Officials Network
- Board of Directors, Athens Theater
- Board of Directors, Spring Hill Community Redevelopment Agency
- Board of Directors, Volusia County 4-H Advisory Board
- Brighthouse Spring Hill Boys and Girls Club
- Member, ALANA Faculty Council of Stetson University
- Member, Spring Hill Neighborhood Association
- Member, Volusia County Schools Minority Recruitment Advisory Board
- National Crossover Youth Practice Model Guiding Coalition
- Partner, Volusia County Schools
- Partner, Stetson University Community-Based Research
- Past Board Member, African-American Museum of the Arts
- Past Board Member, Stewart Marchman Act Behavioral Healthcare
- Past Board Member, Volusia County Schools African-American Advisory Board
- United Neighbors Inspiring the Youth (UNITY) Coalition
- United Way Campaign for Working Families Steering Committee
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
- Connect Florida Institute Class III
- Council for Advancement and Support for Education
- DeLand Area Chamber of Commerce
- Mainstreet DeLand Association
- Volusia County Association of Fundraising Professionals
- West Volusia Young Professionals Group
- Colgate University, Bachelor of Arts, Sociology
- Valdosta State University, Master of Social Work
- Nova Southeastern University, Doctor of Education Candidate (Double Concentration)
- Organizational Leadership and Human Resources Development